School FAQ

Who are the federal loan servicers for the U.S. Department of Education?

Top of Page

Who is now responsible for servicing my school's Federal Direct Loan or PUT loan volume?

There are multiple companies that may service your Direct Loan and PUT loan volume. For new Federal Direct Loans, the U.S. Department of Education distributes loan volume among several participating servicers. The U.S. Department of Education may also distribute existing loans from one school among those servicers.

NOTE: The U.S. Department of Education looks at performance to determine loan allocation among the participating servicers. To assess performance, the U.S. Department of Education combines quarterly borrower, school, and Federal Student Aid survey results with default rates. They then use these findings to calculate the percentage of total volume each servicer receives.

Top of Page

How do I know which students are with which servicer?

Access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to determine the servicer for a specific borrower.

  • NSLDS includes information on commercial and PUT FFELP (Federal Family Education Loan Program) loans and Federal Direct Loans, as well as the servicer assigned to the loan.
  • For federally serviced loans, updates occur on a weekly basis, including federally owned loans that are reassigned, to avoid split servicing.

Or contact each participating servicer to identify which students the servicer has on their system.

Additionally, FedLoan Servicing publishes reports identifying the borrowers that we service. When we first add loans for your school to our system, we will contact you to alert you of your loan volume and to discuss reports available to track your student population with us.

Top of Page

How do I return funds for PUT loans?
Steps Description

Step 1. Visit the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

Determine the appropriate servicer.

Step 2. Prepare one of the following two documents.

nav arrowSchool Transmittal File (PDF)


nav arrowFedLoan Servicing School Refund Transmittal (XLS)

Step 3. Submit your completed document.

By email:

Step 4. Return the funds.

By U.S. Mail (for check payment):
Department of Education
FedLoan Servicing
P.O. Box 530210
Atlanta, GA 30353-0210

By Automated Clearing House (ACH) or Fedwire®:
Please contact us at 1-800-655-3813 or email to initiate this process.

Top of Page

How do I submit changes for PUT loans?

Please contact us at 1-800-655-3813 or email for changes on PUT loans serviced by FedLoan Servicing.

Top of Page

How do I return funds and/or submit changes for Federal Direct Loans?

Submit all refunds and loan changes for Federal Direct Loans through the Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) process.

Top of Page

What do I need to tell my borrowers? How do I make this process easier for them?

One of the best ways to avoid student loan delinquency is awareness. We urge you to make your borrowers aware of their servicers, using the information available with the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

FedLoan Servicing also communicates to our borrowers that we now service one or more of their loans and we notify them they may also have loans with other servicers. We encourage borrowers to create an online account to manage their repayment.

For more on how the government's Direct Loan transfer initiative affects your borrowers, visit the Federal Student Aid (FSA) website.

Top of Page

How is the U.S. Department of Education helping "split" borrowers (student borrowers who have loans with more than one federal servicer)?
  • Federal Student Aid (FSA) uses the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) as frequently as every 2 months to identify split borrowers.
  • Based on set criteria, FSA requests a loan transfer.
    • For borrowers with both Direct Loans and PUT loans—The Direct Loans transfer to the servicer holding the PUT loans.
    • For borrowers with newly originated Direct Loans—The loans are automatically assigned to the federal servicer currently servicing an existing federally owned loan for that borrower.
  • Servicers complete the transfer approximately 45 days from the request.

NOTE: This process applies to federally owned loans only.

Top of Page