Special Programs

Based on your current situation, there may be special programs available to help you repay your loans, or even have them eliminated. Review the programs below to see if you may qualify.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness Icon

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

TEACH Grants

Federal Student Aid (FSA) transitioned the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program from FedLoan Servicing to MOHELA.

Please visit MOHELA's website or StudentAid.gov/teach for more information.

Service Members

We understand and appreciate the sacrifices that you make for our country. That is why we want to make you aware of options that may be available to you.

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

Service members eligible for this benefit can have their interest, costs, and fees capped at 6% during their service.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be an active duty member, or a member absent due to sickness, wounds, leave, or other lawful cause, of the uniformed services OR a U.S. citizen serving with a U.S. ally force in prosecution of war or military action, if such service is similar to "military service" as defined under the SCRA. Examples of uniformed services include:
    • Army
    • Navy
    • Air Force
    • Marines
    • Coast Guard
    • National Guard (must be called to active duty for more than 30 consecutive days for purposes of responding to a national emergency declared by the President and supported by Federal funds.)
    • Commissioned Officer of the Public Health Service or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • Loans must have been disbursed prior to the date that you began serving active duty

NOTE: If you consolidate your loans, you may be at risk for not being eligible for the SCRA benefit. Your loans will have a new disbursement date that may be after you began serving active duty.

How to Apply

If we identify through the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) website that you meet the eligibility requirements, we will automatically apply the SCRA benefit to your eligible loans. We will also continue monitoring your account to ensure that your interest rate does not exceed 6% and your fees and costs are waived while you are serving on active duty.

If you are unsure if you are receiving the SCRA benefit, you or a legal representative can call us toll free at 1-800-699-2908 for additional information.

If you are not receiving the SCRA benefit, you or a legal representative can contact our office to apply for the SCRA benefit verbally or use one of the methods listed below by one of the following methods:


  • You may complete section 1 and 3 and have an authorized official complete section 4 of the Servicemembers Civil Relieve Act (SCRA): Interest Rate Limitation Request (PDF) form
  • Provide military orders or "any other appropriate indicator of military service, including a certified letter from a commanding officer"
  • Submit an application for a Military Service Deferment on your loan, if applicable

You may send this information by one of the following methods:

  1. Upload your completed application and required documents
  2. Mail your completed application and required documents to:

    FedLoan Servicing
    P.O. Box 69184
    Harrisburg, PA 17106-9184

  3. Fax: (717) 720-1628

To learn more about SCRA benefits, contact your Judge Advocate General's Corps Office.

No Accrual of Interest Benefit (Service in Areas of Hostilities)

You may be eligible to have the interest rate on your loans reduced to 0% for up to 60 months. If you currently meet the eligibility requirements or you previously served in an area that qualified for special pay as outlined below, this interest rate benefit can be applied for your time of service.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Direct Loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2008 are eligible.
  • Direct Consolidation Loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2008 that repay loans also first disbursed on or after October 1, 2008 are eligible. The entire Direct Consolidation Loan may be eligible or a portion, based on disbursement dates. This includes FFEL Program Loans that were repaid through a Direct Consolidation Loan, if they meet these criteria.
  • You must serve or have served in an area of hostilities and you must qualify for or have received special pay under Section 310 of Title 37 (PDF) of the United States Code.

Have questions about your eligibility?

Contact Us

How to Apply

You don't have to make a formal request to get this benefit, but we need enough detail from you to determine that you're eligible. To have us review your eligibility and apply the benefit, send us your request and one of the following documents:

  1. A copy of your military orders
  2. A statement, such as your leave and earnings statement, detailing your receipt of hostile fire or imminent danger pay
  3. A signed letter from a certifying official

Or, if you want to postpone your payments while you are on active duty, complete the Military Deferment form (PDF) (also known as Military Service and Post-Active Duty Student Deferment form) and have your commanding or personnel officer complete section four of the form and check the box next to item 3.

If you have any questions about your eligibility, contact us.

Other Options for Service Members

There are options available to lower your monthly payment amount (as low as $0 per month)! You may even be eligible for partial or total loan forgiveness depending on your circumstances.

Repayment Options

As a service member, there are specific deferments and forbearances that you may qualify for based on your circumstances. Before you consider postponing your payments, we recommend that you explore your repayment plan options. For example, Income-Driven Repayment plans are available that may offer:

  • Payment amounts based on your income and family size
  • Monthly payments as low as $0 per month
  • Opportunities for loan forgiveness
  • And more!

NOTE: These repayment plans require annual recertification of your income, which we know can be difficult during periods of deployment. If you designate someone as a Power of Attorney while you are away, they are able to recertify your income on your behalf.

If you want to get an idea of what your payment amount may be on any of the available plans, you can utilize our .

Public Service
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program
The PSLF Program was established to reward you for your work in the public sector. In this program, your outstanding loan balance can be forgiven after you make 120 qualifying payments. The PSLF Program requires some long-term planning.

Options for Postponing Payments

If repaying your loans right now isn't going to work for you, you may qualify to postpone your payments during a period of active duty service if you are:

  • Serving on qualifying National Guard duty,
  • Serving as a reservist or retired member of the Armed Forces,
  • Serving as any other member of the Armed Forces who has been assigned to a duty station at a location other than the location where you are normally assigned, or
  • Serving as a member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) or officer of the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, depending on the dates your loans were disbursed.

Our interactive Eligibility Quiz helps you determine if your federal student loans are eligible for a deferment or forbearance and provides the best options for postponing your payments.

General Tips

  • Set up an online account to make managing your loans easier while away.
  • Apply for Direct Debit so you can establish automatic monthly payments.
  • A request for SCRA Benefits may be requested verbally by contacting our office or by providing us with a copy of your military documentation.
  • Elect a POA or provide authorization to a third party.
  • Request the repayment plan that best meets your needs, and consider whether you may benefit from Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
  • You may sign in to your on-line account and send us an email to request SCRA Benefits or upload documentation for review.
  • For more Military information visit the Department of Defense site at MilitaryOneSource.mil.
  • Employer support services are available to members of the Guard and Reserve through the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) website: esgr.mil or by calling 1-800-336-4590.