Missed Payments

Falling behind on student loan payments can happen to anyone! We report loan information to each of the consumer reporting agencies with both positive and negative information, so it is in your best interest to keep your loans in good standing.

You may qualify for a $0.00 monthly payment with an IDR plan!
With payments that may be based on your income and family size, Income-Driven Repayment (IDR) plans are intended to be tailored to your personal financial situation. Before you fall too far behind on your payments, consider switching to an IDR plan!
Back to Missed Payments

Delinquency and Default

Failure to pay all or part of your monthly payment when it's due can lead to delinquency or default. Find out what options are available before it's too late.

You Missed One or Two Payments

We understand making a payment on your student loans may sometimes slip your mind and we will do our best to remind you when a payment has been missed.

It is important to note that if you do not make your loan payment, your loan will become delinquent the day after the first missed due date. Delinquency can have an adverse effect on your credit rating, as we report the status of your loans to the consumer reporting agencies on a monthly basis. Additionally, if you received an up-front interest rebate, and you have not made the on-time qualifying payments to earn the rebate, the rebate may be lost.

You Missed Several Payments

When a loan is over 270 days delinquent, it goes into default. Defaulting on your student loans has negative consequences, so don't let this happen!

The consequences of default may include (but are not limited to):

  • Damage to your credit rating due to negative credit reporting
  • Garnishment of your wages
  • Withholding of your tax refunds
  • Loss of eligibility for federal and state financial aid

NOTE: If your loans have already defaulted, please contact the agency that is currently billing you to discuss your options.

Back to Missed Payments

Disputing Credit Reporting

If you feel we reported incomplete or inaccurate information to the consumer reporting agencies, you may file a credit dispute directly with us. Please note that deferments and forbearances that are applied to cover a period of time in the past generally do not result in a correction to previously reported information.

To submit a direct credit dispute:

Download, print, and mail the completed Direct Credit Dispute Form (PDF) to:
FedLoan Servicing Credit
P.O. Box 60610
Harrisburg, PA 17106-0610

Or write to us at the address above with the following information:

  • Your name, account number, and address,
  • Information to identify the specific information that is being disputed,
  • An explanation for the basis of the dispute,
  • Any supporting documentation, such as a copy of your credit reporting showing the information you are disputing.

NOTE: If you don't have your account number, to obtain it.

We cannot modify credit information that was reported by another data furnisher (such as another lender/servicer/guarantor).These requests must be referred to the entity who reported the information. We can only modify information that we reported.